I have read about Scvngr a few times, but yesterday finally decided to give it a try in class. We are studying Shakespeare right now which is not a favorite topic of study for most students. I hoped that by using something like Scvngr might engage them in the subject. Boy howdy, did it do the job! The students loved it.
Basically, I used Scvngr to set up a scavenger hunt within a copy of text that we read in class today. Before yesterday, I had never used the program. However, I found that it was quite simple to use. I am guessing that I had a good activity planned in under two hours. This is pretty good considering the time it takes to get used to a new app.
The activity we did consisted of 6 questions. I gave the students the text to read first, and then set them on the hunt. It was almost unbelievable to see how hard they were pouring over the text to find the answers. Along with each of the questions was a challenge. I am still not sure how these work, but I made due today by giving the students the “text passcode” for the next clue. The challenges were the funnest because the students were a little apprehensive at first. One of the challenges that they had to do read “Stand up as a group and, with your right arm in the air, repeat the Shakespeare’s motto in latin. It was a kick to watch them do this. Honestly I was surprised that not a single student refused to do the challenges. Usually one or two students fight activities like this.
I will definitely be looking for ways to use this in my classroom in the future. Actually, I think the students will be begging for me to do use the app again soon.