I have spent most of my time in the last few weeks making videos with students and teachers. I am finding that the more time I spend watching and helping students put videos together, the more highly I think of video projects in the classroom. Video projects are one of the times where I have observed students actively engaged in thinking about what they are doing, which doesn’t always happen.
Here are some reasons that videos should be a part of every class in every school no matter the age being taught. Granted, I have only worked with 5th through 12th graders, but I think in the right setting, any age of student can handle the basic process with some guidance. Okay, here’s the list:
1. High student engagement.
2. Real student thinking.
3. Collaboration with peers.
4. Students learn to work through a process.
5. Exercise problem solving skills.
6. Learn a valuable 21st Century skill.
7. It’s totally free (if you already have the equipment)
8. It is fun! (This is my favorite)