I have spent a considerable amount of time in the past few weeks working with students on Weebly and Lifeyo websites. Both of these are simple to use and quite effective in the classroom. The problem with both of these web building apps is that, at times, they don’t seem to function well.
We are finding that it may have to do with our web browser. The district where I work uses Internet Explorer (IE) on all machines. However, I have found that when things start acting up, and we can’t perform a function on a website while using IE, everything usually works fine while using Firefox. I have done some looking around, and have not found a good solid reason for this. We even had an instance today where a student was using Google Chrome, and the Lifeyo page wasn’t working well. The student wanted to delete a video, but we could not select the video box. I went to the site using Firefox, and the video was gone in a few seconds.
So, the lesson here is if you are using Weebly or Lifeyo and the site just doesn’t work right, try a different browser and see if that helps.