My dream classroom would include the following:
- Class set of laptops (preferably Mac Book Pro’s)
- Class set of iPod Touches complete with a charging station
- A Smart Board (even if they aren’t quite as nifty as they seem)
- Document Camera
- Clickers (probably SMART since I have the board)
- Surround sound speaker system (Bose would be nice!)
I guess I will stop there. I am not even going to delve into the different software and apps that I want downloaded on all the machines.
What are the chances of me having my dream classroom? Pretty slim. Okay, very slim, but I can dream. Really, it’s not about what I want because I’m not going to get it all, and even if I did, technology changes so quickly that keeping up is impossible.
The whole point here is not wishing for tools that I don’t have to use in the classroom. Dream a bit and then snap out of it. Being a good teacher is all about using what we already have. Take a minute and assess what you already have at your disposal. Talk to the principal. Talk to the school librarian. Talk to other teachers. I bet there is a much more in your school than you are aware of. One school I worked in had several sets of clickers that were still factory sealed because no one used them. I don’t even know if anyone knew they existed.
Make a list of what you can use and get after it. There’s plenty to keep you busy.