I didn’t quite know what to name this blog post. I wanted to write something like I love prezi or students love prezi or prezi is just plain cool, fantastic, awesome, but all of these titles seemed a little cheesy. So, instead of coming up with a dramatic title, I though I would just write a little about how great the web app is.
I just finished a unit with Freshmen who gave a presentation as the culminating assignment after having read a novel. None of the students had ever heard of Prezi before, so they had the option to use either PowerPoint or Prezi for the presentations. After watching students create the presentations and having sat through 50+ speech/presentations, I noticed a difference in the two tools. Fundamentally, I don’t think that there is much difference. They both are basic slideshow tools that are relatively easy to use. However, there are a few areas where Prezi h0lds the upper hand.
1. The PowerPoint presentations tend to have quite a bit of clip art in them. Prezis are generally comprised of vibrant pictures from the web.
2. Prezi presentations make the audience want to say “wow” or “cool” at times. As slides flip from one to another, there are definite oohs and aahs. I never did hear this during a PowerPoints in my classroom, and thinking back, I don’t think I have ever heard that at anytime when a PowerPoint was being given.
3. Prezi allows the creator to be truly creative. It is easy to get a picture and then build a presentation on it, in it, or around it with Prezi. PowerPoint does not allow quite the same creative flare.
4. No two Prezis look the same, even when the templates are used. I would have to say that most of the PowerPoints I observed were pretty canned.
5. It may be because Prezi is relatively new, but Prezi is just cool. PowerPoint has been around awhile, and it shows. Most of have sat through too many boring PowerPoint presentations, and hence, they are not that cool.
Just my two bits! If you haven’t tried Prezi, go there now and sign up. If you have a school email, you can get a free Pro Educators account. Make sure to look for that option.